Title challenge is still alive

The latest local sports news.
The latest local sports news.

East League - EML Division 3NW

Bourne Deeping 2nds 1

Horncastle Men’s 1sts 5

Horncastle Hockey Club’s Men’s Firsts kept their title-winning hopes alive after winning 5-1 at Bourne Deeping Seconds.

They now face struggling Long Sutton knowing that avoiding defeat will see them leapfrog St Ives and win the East League - EML Division 3NW championship.

The early starts and a lack of a proper warm-up really hindered Horncastle, but their class eventually showed when Seymour turned the ball into the net following a short corner.

Horncastle kept up the pressure and, after being awarded a string of further penalty corners, Bennett added the second with a well-executed drag flick.

Bourne started the second half well but it was Horncastle who increased their advantage.

Foster, who had looked dangerous up front all game, was rewarded when a Scott cross was deflected into his path and he put Horncastle 3-0 up.

As Horncastle attempted to kill off the game they committed too many men forward, allowing Bourne to finally get the better of Murrell, who had done well to keep the majority of Bourne’s attempts out.

Horncastle patience was justified when a counter attack was poorly cleared by the Bourne Deeping defence.

The loose ball found Read on the edge of the D and he calmly slotted home.

Bennett secured what turned out to be a comfortable victory for Horncastle with his second goal of the day.

Horncastle’s short corner routine had been hit and miss all match. The Bourne defence denied the opportunity for the straight shot, though Bennett calmly rounded the two defensive runners before flicking the ball into the far corner of the net.

East League - EWL Division 4NW(N)

Horncastle Ladies’ 1sts 1

Cambridge South 1sts 3

Horncastle Ladies concluded their season with a 3-1 defeat to league leaders Cambridge South Firsts.

Horncastle were forced to stay in their own half early on, the home team’s defence under immense pressure with goalkeeper L. Neame making some crucial saves.

The game started to settle and Horncastle were beginning to create chances to get into the opposition’s half with strong passes.

Unfortunately, these chances were stopped by a strong Cambridge South defence.

The scond half saw Cambridge South open the scoring, adding two more within the first 10 minutes of the re-start.

Horncastle reducted the arrears from a short corner.

E. Tokelove took the strike at the top of the D to the far post, where I. Williams was there to provide a cross for T. Roark to put ball against the backboard.

However, there was no further scoring.