Philp shows his potential to gain a points placing

Aaron Clarke and Tommy Philp.
Aaron Clarke and Tommy Philp.

The Brands Hatch kitty litter was visited by both of the draperRACING riders over the weekend - with Aaron Clarke taken out of his race and team-mate Tommy Philp suffering the same fate later in the day.

But it was not all bad news at Brands Hatch as Tommy showed his potential in the British Supersport Sprint race on Saturday, when he came away with a points finish.

Philp, from East Kirkby, qualified in 17th place and started the 18 lap sprint race from a sixth-row grid position on Saturday.

He got away to a good start but had to take avoiding action on the first lap to avoid hitting a fallen rider.

He lost a lot of ground and completed the first lap in 27th place.

The course car halted his progress for a couple of laps and once it left the track Philp lost a place to 28th.

He had just begun to make headway through to 25th when the race was red flagged because of rain.

At the re-start, now to be run over 12 laps, Philp once again got away well and was up to 22nd on the first lap.

Again there were riders falling ahead of him but this time he was able to run past without a problem and moved up to 17th one lap later.

On lap three he was up into a point scoring position in 15th place and then to 14th, but was pushed back a place when Joe Thompson passed him on the final lap.

Clarke was riding well and qualified his Kawasaki in 16th place to start the Superstock 600 race from the sixth row.

His race was halted before it hardly began as there was a multiple crash at Druids on the first lap.

The re-started race was to run over 18 laps but the Kirton rider was only able to complete three laps before he was involved in another rider’s accident.

The force of the crash sent his bike hurtling over the air fence and was only stopped from going into the crowd by the catch fence.

On his way to the gravel trap Clarke was trapped under the bike, but luckily they parted company once they hit the kitty litter.

He was taken to the medical centre with a very sore knee and ankle but apart from some bruising there were no broken bones.

Later in the day Philp was out in the British Supersport Feature race which he started from the sixth row.

As the lights went out he moved straight into 15th position and poised to make a move upfield when Matt Truelove crashed and took Philp down with him.

Although up and walking straight away, Philp was seen to hold his arm and was taken to the medical centre for a check.

He has always had a problem with his arm dislocating and once again it has popped out of place - not a major problem and he will be fit for the next round.

The next round is at Knockhill in Scotland which will be held over the weekend of June 24-26.