MOTORCYCLING: Tattershall’s Silvester takes three top 10 finishes at season opener

Aaron Silvester on track at Brands Hatch. Photo: Max Silvester
Aaron Silvester on track at Brands Hatch. Photo: Max Silvester

Aaron Silvester from Tattershall rode to three top 10 finishes in the opening round of the Thundersport GB Sportsman Elite class over the weekend at Brands Hatch.

This year Silvester has moved up from the North Gloucester club to the more competitive and high profile Thundersport UK series and explained: “I have been waiting for what feels like years to get back on the bike again and the time finally came. This year I am competing in the Sportsman Elite 600 Championship that is run within the Elite 600 class with the Thundersport GB club.

“The first round here on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit was a real test, bringing us very cold temperatures and both wet and dry weather. After our bright, cold but dry test day on Friday, we thought we were ready for what was to come over the weekend. But that wasn’t the case.”

Qualifying was run in the wet after the rain began just prior to the start of the session. The team completed a speedy tyre change but unfortunately Aaron only got five laps under his belt before his rear wheel dropped on to a kerb and threw him off the bike. Luckily, he was not injured in the crash and the lap time put in prior to that was sufficient to give him a third row start to race one on Saturday.

As the race got underway, Aaron managed to hold his position and, with the cold and wet conditions, was just aiming for a finish as riders were crashing at almost every corner. But, despite the slippery conditions, he crossed the finish line in a very credible fourth place to pick up 13 championship points.

The weather was much improved on Sunday and the track had dried out. But of course that meant that the pace had stepped up beyond his expectations.

Aaron, along with many other riders, struggled with lack of grip due to the cold weather and after the crash the previous day he took it steady and brought the bike home in ninth position to claim a further seven points.

Sporting new tyres and some changes to the suspension for the final race, Aaron was more confident and he improved his lap times by 0.7 seconds. Despite losing one of his contact lenses during the race, he was able to take the chequered flag in eighth place to add a further eight points to his tally.

Aaron said: “Firstly, I would like to wish my team manager and sponsor a very speedy recovery as he fell ill just before the first round; get well soon Steve Dolan.

“After an eventful weekend at one of my least favourite circuits, I am happy to come home with three point-scoring finishes. I hope to see some sun for the next meeting at Donington Park and try to further improve my riding ability with the 600.

“Huge thanks to Stralia Race Tech, A & J Racing, Fuchs Silkolene, Pete and Ally Dalton, Chores Hygiene Management, Oakwell Management Services, dad, mum, Max, Tom Nixon, Craig Harriman and Helen Pask. Thanks to all friends and family that came to support me.”

The next round is at Donington Park over the Easter weekend of March 27-28 when Aaron will be hoping to improve his race results further.