MOTORCYCLING: ‘Hicky’ has mixed bag of results at TT week

Peter Hickman in action in the Lightweight class. Photo: Peter Bull
Peter Hickman in action in the Lightweight class. Photo: Peter Bull

Peter Hickman had a mixed bag of results at this year’s Isle of Man TT festival week.

Starting with a fantastic result of fourth in the Superbike race on Saturday, he posted his fastest ever lap around the island course of 132.892mph lap on the final of six laps, an amazing feat in only his third year of racing at the TT.

Peter Hickman. Photo: Helen Pask

Peter Hickman. Photo: Helen Pask

Lady luck deserted the Lincolnshire rider, who lives near Cadwell Park, on Monday when he was forced out of the Supersport race with a water leak and then later in the day he had to retire with a puncture in the Superstock event.

In the first of his two races on Wednesday, Hicky completed the four laps in the second Supersport race in a strong eighth place. After his non-finish in race one on Monday, the team checked the bike for every little detail to make sure the Iron Maiden Trooper Kawasaki was in pristine condition for the race.

Hicky commented: “We are not sure what happened on Monday but I had only travelled six miles before I noticed water gushing out of the bike. I immediately pulled in to check it was water and not oil and found a fault with the water pump. I tried to fix it and with the help of a spectator managed to make a temporary repair which enabled me to ride back to the pits and pulled in to retire.

“I also retired from the Superstock race so it was a bad day all round for me. But this is only my third year at the TT and to just have two retirements to my name is not bad going.”

Later in the day, Hicky returned to action on the Burrows Engineering Kawasaki in the Lightweight class. He was up to 10th place at the first checkpoint of Glen Helen but encountered a technical problem and retired at Westwood a couple of minutes later.

Hicky was hoping for a good run in the Senior TT on Friday and started off well, taking up third position on time on the first lap. He held third place and was going well throughout lap two but retired at Brandywell just before the end of the lap with a technical problem with the GBmoto Kawasaki.

He said: “Sometimes things are just not meant to be. I tried hard, learnt a lot, was fast and the podium was on. I could not have done anymore than I did these last two weeks. Thanks to all the boys and girls of the GBmoto team, John Burrows and his team, all my personal sponsors and all the fans for their support over the last two weeks.

“Looking positive, I did record my personal best time and result of fourth in the first race of the week, and I am really happy with that. I will be back next year to have another ride around this fantastic course.”

Hicky will now turn his attention back to the British Superbike Championship when he travels north of the border to Knockhill in Scotland on June 26.