Magical Mickey is too hot for ‘Ham

Mickey Stones powers home a header for one of his goals against Nettleham
Mickey Stones powers home a header for one of his goals against Nettleham

Mickey Stones bagged a hat trick as Horncastle Town stung Nettleham 5-2 at The Wong on Saturday in the Supplementary Cup.

The win took Town through to the knock-out stages of the competition where they will play Humbertherm.

Despite the convincing score line, it was not until the second half that Town secured victory - despite dominating long periods.

Town started brightly and from a Richard Jackson delivery, Stones saw his header cleared off the line. However, Nettleham took the lead on their first attack after 15 minutes.

Town’s response was immediate. Michael Harness volleyed just wide and Ollie Johnson saw his curling shot clip the bar with the ‘keeper beaten.

Ollie Johnson and Richard Jackson were dominating midfield and a Jackson corner led to Town’s equaliser with Stones’ downward header bringing the teams level.

Town continued to press but on the half hour, Nettleham netted a second goal with some dodgy defending.

Once again, Town’s response was positive and when Ollie Johnson looped a cross to the far post, Harness finished superbly with a controlled shot.

Minutes later, Town took the lead when another Johnson cross was flicked on by Stones as he out jumped the visiting ‘keeper.

The second half took a while to get going and Town struggled to play with the same fluency, but the impressive Scott Lowman saw a fine header tipped over by the busy Nettleham ‘keeper.

Finally, Town sealed victory with a terrific goal from Stones to complete a deserved hat-trick after great work from Nathan Rawdon and Tony Edwards.

Steve Lovett, Callum Low and Carl Smith were all introduced for the final quarter and Smith completed the scoring with a speculative effort from thirty yards.

Town: Burchnall, Rawdon (Lovett), Brown (Callum Low), Lowman, Ollie Johnson, Edwards, Jackson, Stones, Harness, Sargeant (Smith)