FOOTBALL: We were robbed blast angry Horncastle Town after controversial decision

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22

University of Lincoln Law Society 3 Horncastle Town Development XI 2

Horncastle Town’s young development squad left Lincoln fuming last Sunday after crashing to a controversial defeat against Division Five rivals The Law Society.

Town would have been good value for at least a point, but were left counting the cost of a baffling decision by the referee.

With Town trailing 2-1 in the second half, they appeared to have notched an equaliser through Callum Hotchkin.

He powered in a header after an terrific cross from 17-year-old Nathan Wright, who made an outstanding debut.

With both teams about to re-start the game, one of the Law Society’s players told the referee the Hotchkin’s effort had actually ‘gone in’ through a hole in the side-netting.

To the amazement of everyone, the referee disallowed the goal - and awarded the Law Society a goal kick.

Town manager Mark Simmons said: “It was an amazing decision, The ref’ was only a young kid but even so, in 14 years of management, I’ve never seen anything like it.

“I couldn’t believe the Law Society. If that’s football, I don’t want anything to do with it.”

Despite that decision, Town did equalise through Nathan Wright, but they conceded a late goal to rub salt into their wounds.

Simmons added: “We deserved at least a point, if not all three. It’s the first time I’ve left a game without shaking the hands of our opponents. I hope they are proud of themselves because we were robbed.”

There were some positives from the game, not least the performance of Nathan Wright who produced a dazzling display on the left wing.

Centre backs Harry Simmons and Eddie Wright were also outstanding while skipper Callum Low led the side by example from the centre of midfield.

The Law Society took the lead in the first half when they latched onto an attempted clearance by Town ‘keeper Liam Smith, who saw the ball banged back over his head and into the net.

Andrew Bullivant levelled with a superb free kick and it was 1-1 at the break.

Law Society went back in front but Town piled on the pressure and their second half efforts deserved a lot more than that final score.

Town will be looking to bounce back when they entertain a physical Claytons Athletic side at Town Wong on Sunday (ko: 10.45).