FOOTBALL: Troubled Horncastle Town stung by Lincoln’s late, late show

Football News.
Football News.

Lincoln United Reserves 2 Horncastle Town 1

Horncastle Town were victims of a late, late show at Sills and Betteridge rivals Lincoln United on Saturday as their slide down the table continued.

Town looked to be heading for all three points when a Tony Edwards goal gave them a deserved 1-0 lead after 65 minutes.

However, they conceded two goals in the last 25 minutes - the second with just seconds to go - to leave Ashby Avenue empty handed,

The result was a bitter pill for Town to swallow and they’ve now gone six league games without a win, picking up just one point in the process.

Town were without Andrew Shinn and Danny Bent, but Chris Johnson and Carl Smith returned to the starting line up.

Matty Low captained the side as it was his last appearance before he leaves for Australia next weekend.

Town started the game brightly and saw plenty of the ball. They went in 20 minutes when Michael Harness set up Scott Lowman whose shot was parried by the ‘keeper and Edwards was on hand to head the rebound home.

It was no more than Town deserved and they kept pushing for a second goal. They created chances and Low was put through one on one with the keeper, but screwed his shot wide of the far post.

The second half started much like the first ended with Town in complete control of possession and pushing for the ‘killer’ second goal.

Edwards was unlucky not to hit the target and Lowman had two opportunities from long range that failed to work the ‘keeper.

Town paid the price for failing to turn pressure into goals. On 65 minutes, a long ball lumped forward was chased down by the United striker and as Town ‘keeper Will Wood came rushing out, he saw the ball lifted over him and into the unguarded net.

This setback seemed to rattle Town and they started giving possession away cheaply. Steve Brown was replaced by Gareth Melia and with Chris Johnson struggling with an injury, Town looked to hang on.

With 10 minutes to go, Harness thought he had won the game when his shot was brilliantly tipped onto the post by the home ‘keeper.

With the clock ticking down it was United who scored the winning goal. Another long ball over the defence left their striker running one on one against Wood and he made no mistake lifting the ball into the net.

It was another bitterly disappointing result for Town.

Town are without a game this weekend but return to league action on December 7 when they travel to Skegness United.

Town: Wood, Lovett, C.Johnson, Marshall, Low, Smith, O.Johnson, Brown, Lowman, Harness, Edwards. Unused sub: Rawdon