FOOTBALL: Ten-goal Team Lean fly out of the traps

editorial image

It was another excellent evening of football in the Horncastle Six-a-side league last Monday.

Games were played under the floodlights of Horncastle Playing Fields Astroturf with, fortunately, better weather conditions than the previous week’s torrential rain.

Team Lean 10

Bantalona 1

In an unexpected result, Team Lean flew out of the traps and found themselves controlling play from almost the first minute as a beleaguered Bantalona struggled for quality possession.

Pace from both Jack Avison and man of the match Luke Chapman helped Team Lean to a first half lead of 5-0.

Things continued to go from bad to worse for Bantalona, aside from a well taken consolation, as two goals in quick succession and a wonderfully guided volley for number eight saw Chapman grab a hat trick en route to a rout of Bantalona.

Spandau Pele 1

Ivory Toast 0

Despite a confident start from Toast, they fell behind to a Tim Williamson strike, who followed up after a good save initially for 1-0. Jack Whitt responded but fired wide from an angle.

Despite the scoreline, Spandau had numerous chances and on a different day, man of the match Williamson could and should have had a hat trick.

Richard Hall also hit the post late on as Spandau continued to put press but did enough to claim maximum points.

Ginger Gaffer 1

Tekkerslovakia 1

A tense first half saw Tekkerslovakia force the better chances, with a couple of good saves from the Gaffer keeper preventing Tekkers from taking the lead.

Adam Whitaker was given a two minute sin bin for kicking the ball away after a free kick against him, but redeemed himself in the second half as he equalised for the Gaffers following Josh Beresford’s excellent opener.

James McCracken was given the man of the match award for his excellent performance.



In an amazing match, RAFCATS flew out of the traps and found themselves 1-0 up in the first few minutes.

Steve Hill made it 2-0 with an excellent strike and then man of the match Jim Sharples put RAFCATS in dreamland with a third from the penalty spot.

OGFC responded by hitting the post and then the bar whilst RAFCATS also had their chances to extend their lead before half time.

The second half saw a superb comeback from the Reds with an early goal, followed quickly by another.

It seemed RAFCATS had done enough as the game entered the final 20 seconds but, dramatically, a penalty was awarded for a defender stepping in the box, giving OGFC the opportunity to duly equalise with the final kick of the game to level.

Beercelona 5-0 points match (RAFCATS 4-1)

RAFCATS stayed on and fulfilled a friendly for Beercelona to obtain their points match and gain two points to put them in fourth place.

Jack Harland hit the post in the first half whilst Sean Gilbody was in fine form, saving from Sharples.

In the second half, Jay Peterson had a superb chance to equalise when through on goal but his effort was wonderfully tipped on to the post by Matt Collins, who followed up with an equally excellent save minutes later.

Sharples did eventually give RAFCATS the lead following good play by Sam Smith, but Beercelona were not to be denied and Harland tucked in the equaliser for 1-1.

RAFCATS continued to press and saw further chances come their way which they took to add some gloss to their performance.