FOOTBALL: Skegness Town overpower Lincoln new boys

Scorer of Town's second goal, Macauley Parker (left) closes down a Railway defender. Photo: Nigel West
Scorer of Town's second goal, Macauley Parker (left) closes down a Railway defender. Photo: Nigel West

Balcan Lighting Supplies Lincolnshire League

Lincoln Railway AFC 1

Skegness Town 9

On-fire Will Britton turned in a five-star performance to help crush new boys Lincoln Railway.

The Lilywhites’ centre forward put the home defence to the sword with a ruthless display of finishing.

The emphatic win lifted the seasiders to fifth in the table going into the representative squad break.

Britton will be involved in the pick of the league squad to face the Staffordshire County Senior League at Sleaford on Saturday, but he is unlikely to enjoy such easy pickings.

He gave the Railmen a torrid time, piercing their defence at will, and could have had more goals to his name had he taken all of his chances.

Town started the game without key players Liam Parker and Ben Davison, but Miles Chamberlain and Jamie Epton returned to the defence.

Debutants Wade Hurst and Daniel Quinn shared the bench with new signing Aaron Shelley.

Skegness opened the scoring within the first five minutes through Britton, and McCauley doubled the seasiders’ advantage when he beat the offside trap and lobbed the advancing keeper Adam Ward in the 17th minute.

Midway through the first half, the points looked secure when Britton fired home his second, but sloppy defending allowed the Railmen back into the game, Alex Mackinder stabbing home a loose ball following a long throw.

The goal kept the game alive for the home side, and for the first 10 minutes of the second half they matched the seasiders, sensing that there were more goals to be had if complacency had indeed set in.

But Jordan Smith snuffed out any hopes of a comeback with Town’s fourth, assisted by Britton.

The lively Britton appeared to have completed his hat trick when he fired home after being set up by Smith, but he had drifted offside. Protesting to the referee simply earned him a yellow card, the folly of which was underlined minutes later when he fired his third past a helpless Ward.

There was still a quarter of the game to go and the Lincoln side were looking increasingly shaky. They conceded a free kick on the edge of their box and Chamberlain took full advantage, curling a free kick round the defensive wall and into the bottom corner.

At the other end, the ever alert Jack Solomon in the Skegness goal tipped a Mackinder effort over the bar. He was replaced between the sticks for the last 10 minutes by Quinn, who showed impressive handling from the word go.

There was more action at the other end where Britton added two more goals before Smith wrapped things up with the ninth in the last minute.

Luke Rayner-Mistry deserved special mention for his selfless work, which provided a string of opportunities for his teammates.

One negative for the seasiders was the injury to Michael Parnham which forced him to limp off during the second half.

Skegness Town: Solomon, Warren, Parnham, Hardy, Chamberlain, Epton, Smith, Fields, Britton, Rayner-Mistry, Parker, Hurst, Shelley, Quinn.