FOOTBALL: Shooters shot down in Horncastle league debut

editorial image

Horncastle Six-a-side League


SA Shooters 2

Newcomers SA Shooters endured a difficult start to their life in the league as OGFC fired in within the first minute.

The next five goals were a blur for Shooters as OGFC’s ability and experience on the pitch showed. Shooters however did force their first corner and promptly hit the side netting before scoring with their first shot on target with a well drilled left foot strike for 6-1 at half time.

The second half was a more even affair but Ollie Harvey-Avery grabbed the man of the match award when he scored his second and the team’s ninth goal of the game with an audacious back-heel.

Arguably it was Shooters that scored the goal of the game when Ben Ward cracked in a superb second consolation effort.

Bantalona 0

Tekkerslovakia 0

In a goalless first half, it was Bantalona who had some good early chances including a great one on half time.

Tekkerslovakia hit the post at the start of second half after breaking free from midfield but came across an inspired and man of the match performance from goalkeeper Graham Fidling. Bantalona did have their own chances and on a counter attack

Beercelona 0

Ivory Toast 3

Beercelona’s inconsistency crept back in as Ivory Toast scored two early goals before you could blink.

Will Stacey then hit the post as Ivory Toast had Beercelona on the rack and looking for a third goal to kill the game off. Dale Moody found himself free on the edge of the box but Toast’s keeper saved easily. Toast hit the post on stroke of half time.

The second half continued in favour of Ivory Toast and, following a disallowed goal for Beercelona, man of the match Jack Whitt fired in the third to cap a superb night.


Ginger Gaffer 2

RAFCATS keeper and man of the match Matt Collins saved well to preserve a 0-0 half time scoreline.

The second half brought another superb early save from Collins to deny Blake K-Forrester low down. A good flowing move saw Jack Harwood hit the side netting as Ginger Gaffer started to exert their superiority. Harwood then set up Blake to fire into an open net.

Blake grabbed his second goal of the game with a good finish for 2-0 as Gaffer kept pace with OGFC at the top.

Spandau Pele 1

Beercelona 2 (points Match 5-0)

Spandau Pele forced some good early chances but didn’t really make keeper Sean Gilbody work in the friendly match-up.

Olly Johnson put Spandau Pele 1-0 up whilst Nathan Wilkinson for Beercelona broke through and hit the post.

Dale Moody brought the game back to 1-1 in the second half and then Ryan Callaghan had a great chance to score but stabbed wide. Wilkinson linked up play up front well in a fine individual performance and Moody completed the comeback with the winner for 2-1 as he scraped a shot past a superb Jamie Newton, who made plenty of excellent saves in a man of the match performance.