FOOTBALL: Johnson hat-trick sees OGFC hold on to top spot

editorial image

Horncastle Six-a-side League


Bantalona 1

Any chance of Bantalona keeping the game tight early on went out the window as Sam Johnson broke through and smartly chipped over keeper Graham Fidling.

It was soon 2-0 as OGFC were in clear control and went into half time without any real Bantalona efforts. However soon after the break Dan Hunt dragged one wide as Bantalona showed some spirit, before shrugging off a challenge to finish low in the corner for 2-1.

However hopes of an equaliser were soon extinguished as a fully fit Nathan Wright made it 3-1 before Johnson added an immediate fourth. The icing on the cake was completed as Johnson deservedly picked up the man of the match award and completed his hat-trick late on to see OGFC hold on to top spot.

Ivory Toast 0

Tekkerslovakia 2

(both 5-0 results)

Due to SA Shooters’ removal and the weekly friendly match, both Ivory Toast and Tekkerslovakia were paired together.

Despite recent form for Ivory Toast, it was Tekkers who went close after a quick Sam Ford throw in found Kevin Briston in space. His shot was well saved by the Toast keeper. They didn’t have to wait long for the lead as Nathan Brown made it 1-0 with a good finish.

The second half saw a good chance from distance for Matt Lee as Ivory Toast looked to respond, however Briston finally got a goal when he sprinted through to finish well for 2-0.

Toast then fired over before Jack Whitt was left free to take a shot from distance but it was well saved. The quality of saves earned Tekkerslovakia keeper Charlie Stapleton the man of the match award for preserving the clean sheet, whilst Jack Whitts’s constant running for his team should also be mentioned.

Tekkerslovakia 0

Ginger Gaffer FC 2

(Spandau Pele 0 Ginger Gaffer 5)

Due to injuries and absences, Spandau Pele had to forfeit their game this week which gifted Ginger Gaffer a 5-0 win. As a result, Tekkerslovakia stayed on to play a friendly against the Gaffers.

Nathan Brown hit the bar at the start before Jack Harwood had a good chance, as both teams showed good attacking promise.

Jack Harwood made it 1-0 to Ginger Gaffer. Briston then shot from distance and saw his effort saved by Robert Taylor. Man of the match Jack Harwood grabbed his second and sixth in two games.

Brown hit the post again as Tekkers looked for a way back. The second half saw guest player Jay Peterson hit the bar before Joe Cranfield thwarted yet another breakaway in a solid defensive performance.

Beercelona 2


Beercelona saw Sam Dumbrell fire over the bar for their first real chance before a deflected shot found its way past the keeper but hit the post.

At the other end, Sean Gilbody made a great save before Steve Hill expertly fired into the bottom corner for 1-0.

It was soon 1-1 when Ryan Callahan equalised from distance, before Ollie Elkington brought out another good save from Gilbody. Jim Sharples and Steve Hill helped their team to a 3-1 scoreline at half time.

Jack Harland shot from distance as Beercelona looked to respond with him, Peterson and Dumbrell all bringing the best out of ISS RAFCATS’ stand-in keeper.

Despite his saves, Jay Peterson did pull one back for but Nathan Wilkinson put through his own net almost immediately for 4-2. Ryan Callahan went close to getting them back into the game but ISS RAFCATS deservedly took the points to make it back-to-back wins.