FOOTBALL: Horncastle U14s too hot for Grantham Flames to confirm promotion

Football ENGPNL00120130210130301
Football ENGPNL00120130210130301

Horncastle U14s 7-0 Grantham Flames

Town’s U14s dominated their home fixture against Grantham Flames on Saturday to guarantee promotion in their penultimate game of the season.

Although determined, the mix of strong wind and sunshine made ball control difficult, resulting in a scrappy initial performance from both squads.

With pressure on Grantham from the start, it was surprising that the first real opportunity didn’t come for Town until the seventh minute when a good corner crossed in from Rhys Bevington found the head of Oliver Dean, who placed it narrowly wide.

Town’s superior teamwork started to take its toll on the Grantham defence and with 10 minutes gone Jenson Ross-Lee opened up the scoring with a simple tap past the ‘keeper.

Reacting rapidly from the restart, Town took possession and Christopher Bargh fed a good long ball forward, setting up Ross-lee for a simple turn and shoot to claim his second.

Again Town were quick to regain possession, this time with Bevington running and shooting from the left side of the box; the keeper blocked the shot and Bargh, quick to follow-up, using a neat little 1-2 with the right post that threw the keeper off balance, slotted the ball in to the back of the net.

Town continued to drive home their advantage with a powerful shot by Dean forcing another good save by the Grantham keeper and a follow up attack with sufficient pressure in the box from Bevington to force a defensive error resulting in another Town goal.

The second half kicked off with Town playing in to wind promising more activity for Ayres to deal with than the first. A good start from Oliver Clark increased the score to five after a decisive attack in the opening minutes.

With a good cross in to the box from Dean left un-finished, Clark followed up with another, this time to Ross-Lee who dropped the ball back to Henry Wilson for a clean shot to make it six.

Clark with another attacking run put the ball past the ‘keeper, but the offside flag was up and the goal was disallowed.

James Wood’s strength came in to its own in the 65th minute, after winning the ball and running through to deliver a fantastic strike to finish and bring the score to seven.

Although Town missed a number of clear goal-scoring opportunities during the match, they thoroughly dominated the game and fully deserved the result.

With promotion to the A-League now confirmed, the final fixture of the season against Lincoln United will decide who will finish top of the table.

The match will be on Sunday April 19 at 2:15pm.