FOOTBALL: Horncastle Town Reserves up to second after unbeaten start

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22

Horncastle Town Reserves 4-1 Retford Town

Horncastle Town Reserves unbeaten start to the season continued with a comfortable win against Retford Town.

Town made four changes from the previous week’s win, bringing in Nathan Rawdon and Andrew Shinn back from injury, Steve Brown and debutante Billy Anderson on the bench.

Town set up with a 4-4-2 formation and started the quicker out the blocks. In the first minute Town won a corner and Darren Trapmore whipped the ball across the six-yard box with Jamie Lamming inches away from making the perfect start.

It was only a minute later when Town broke the deadlock. Again coming from a corner Luke Blondel rose at the far post to head home from close range.

Retford’s only chance in the opening exchanges came from a freekick, but the shot was well wide of Jason Stamford’s goal. Town were getting the ball wide to Josh Cheetham, who put a lovely ball in for Ben Fidling who made the Retford ‘keeper pull off a superb close range save.

It wasn’t long before Town made it 2-0. In the 25th minute Luke Blondel fed Ben Fidling to calmly place the ball in the bottom corner. It was 3-0 minutes later. Jamie Lamming with a through ball to Josh Cheetham, who used his pace to get away from the defence and coolly finished when 1 on 1 with the ‘keeper.

On the half hour mark Retford pulled a goal back. The town defence lost the ball 25-yards out. Jason Ryley the Retford striker intercepted the ball and weaved his way past three Town defenders to slot the ball in the bottom corner.

This was a blow to Town as they had dominated the match up to this point. Steve Brown replaced Scott Maplethorpe just before half time due to a serious clash of heads with blood pouring from Maplethorpe’s head.

The second half got underway with not many chances being created for either side. Jason Stamford wasn’t really tested in the Town goal, but did produce two excellent takes from two Retford corners.

Retford should of pulled a goal back midway through the half. Nathan Rawdon and Jamie Lamming clashed into each other and the Retford striker shot from 18-yards, missing the top corner by inches.

Town made it 4-0 in the 80th minute. Another Darren Trapmore corner was headed home by Steve Brown. The result takes town reserves up to second in the league after four games.

Next sees Town away to third placed Birchwood Utd in what could be a much bigger test.

Team: Stamford, Trapmore, Rawdon, MacLeod (Garnett) Shinn, Lamming, S.Maplethorpe (Brown), Boulaid (Anderson), Cheetham, Fidling, L.Blondel.