FOOTBALL: Horncastle Town lose to East Lindsey rivals

Horncastle Town's Steve Lovett (left) tussles with Skegness Town full back Jamie Epton. Photo: Nigel West
Horncastle Town's Steve Lovett (left) tussles with Skegness Town full back Jamie Epton. Photo: Nigel West

Balcan Lighting Supplies Lincolnshire League

Horncastle Town 0

Skegness Town 7

Skegness Town climbed back into second place with this convincing win over East Lindsey rivals Horncastle.

Maybe still suffering from the after affects of that midweek defeat, Horncastle were brushed aside by the seasiders in a second half that could have ended so differently.

Indeed, had visiting keeper James Lambley not thwarted Ben Fidling in a one-on-one ten minutes after the break, the result could well have been much tighter.

As it was, the Lilywhites went down to the other end and smacked in five goals in half an hour to not only continue to put pressure on leaders Sleaford Town Reserves, but also improve their goal difference.

The game began in true local derby fashion, with no quarter given or expected. Both sets of players were obviously in the mood, with local pride at stake.

The early battles were fought in midfield, and the fair sized ground, which was boosted by a large number from the coast, had to wait until the 31st minute for any real goal threat. It came from the boot of Luke Rayner-Mistry, who stung the fingers of home keeper William Wood with a sharp drive from 17 yards.

Wood pushed the effort away for a corner, which his defenders struggled to deal with. As they hesitated, Liam Parker took full advantage to drill the loose ball home.

The goal settled the visitors, who were relieved to have drawn the first blood.

It also put the Wongers on the back foot, but the expectant away fans had to wait until the stroke of half time for their second goal. Great work by the lively Rayner-Mistry set up skipper Ben Davison for his first of the afternoon.

The next goal was going to be crucial and the early exchanges in the second half suggested that it was likely to go to Horncastle. But Lambley’s alertness denied Fidling when he was through on goal.

Five minutes later the seasiders extended their lead with Davison’s second and then Will Britton got in on the act with two goals in as many minutes to make the score 5-0.

Horncastle had to dig deep to repel a rampant Lilywhites and they fell further behind when Rayner-Mistry slid in the sixth of the day.

Substitute Matt Veall wrapped things up late in the day with the seventh.

Horncastle Town: Wood, Lovett, Shinn, Lowman, C Johnson, Brown, C Smith, Jackson, Blondel, Fidling, Chalk, Boulaid, Morey, Boddily.

n Sleaford Town Reserves got back to winning ways at the top, picking up a tidy three points at second-to-bottom Market Rasen Town.

Wyberton kept up the pressure with victory by the odd goal in three over Brigg Town Reserves.

Lincoln Railway AFC secured a point at CGB Humbertherm, while a brace of goals from Gary Nimmo helped Cleethorpes Town Development Squad to three points at home to Ruston Sports.

In the Challenge Cup Hykeham Town earned a place in the final with a narrow win at Skegness United.

Results: CGB Humbertherm 1 Lincoln Railway AFC 1, Cleethorpes Town DS 3 Ruston Sports 1, Horncastle Town 0 Skegness Town 7, Market Rasen Town 0 Sleaford Town Reserves 2, Wyberton 2 Brigg Town Reserves 1. Challenge Cup: Skegness United 2 Hykeham Town 3.