FOOTBALL: Horncastle Town go through to semis

editorial image

WJ Harrison Printers Lincoln Football League

Horncastle Town took on Ruston Sports Reserves, who were playing their first game for almost a month, as six league sides were in cup action vying for a semi-final place of the Amateur Cup.

Having lost only once in their last four games, Horncastle won with a 4-2 scoreline for their second successive game to take them through to the last four.

Rob Morey scored twice, along with one from Luke Blondel and an own goal.

AFC Crown and Arrows were up against neighbours Birchwood United, having suffered a 6-2 defeat, their worst of the season, in what was their last game. Birchwood too were looking to get back to winning ways having suffered their first defeat of the season when losing to Lincs League side Horncastle Town in the Lincs Junior Cup in their last encounter.

The match started on a damp breezy afternoon and from the outset the Crown were much brighter and determined to put Birchwood under early pressure. With wave after wave of attacks Birchwood did well not to concede, but on the 28th minute, and against the run of play, Birchwood netted through good play from Grant Foster with Paul Nicholson getting on to a dropped save from Crown keeper Craig Murphy.

Birchwood then took complete control of the second half with an early goal from Nicholson setting them on the way to a good win. Forced changes early in the half also paid off for Birchwood when ageless substitute Mark Ward came on, and with a bit of good fortune he nutmegged the keeper from close range for 3-0.

Birchwood continued to press and adding a little bit of club history as Karl Ward, the son of Mark Ward, smashed in Birchwood’s fourth, after more good play down the Birchwood left from the inspirational Nicholson. Birchwood finished the match off with Ash Woodall, showing good control to round the Crown keeper to complete the scoring.

The final tie was at Railway Inn where Cherry willingham were the opposition. The home side had picked up their first point of the season in their last game, while Cherry had lost for the first occasion in three games.

In what appeared to be a very one sided game, Cherry were leading 7-2 with five minutes remaining when the match was abandoned due to a serious leg injury to one of their players.

Jake Mann scored four of their goals with one each from Joe Silson, Bobby Jenkinson and Brendan Foster-Matthieson. Tom Bridge and Tom Holmes netted for Railway.