FOOTBALL: Horncastle Town boss praises his special reserves

Lewis Burchnall on the attack for Horncastle
Lewis Burchnall on the attack for Horncastle

Horncastle Town Reserves booked their place in the Amateur Cup final after a dramatic penalty shoot-out against The Blues Club at The Wong.

League form went out of the window as Town held their high flying visitors to a 1-1 score at the end of 90 minutes and extra time.

In the shoot-out, Town led 4-3 and Jack Baxter stepped up to take the all-important spot-kick which, if successful, would take his side through.

His initial effort was saved, but the referee’s assistant raised his flag to indicate the Blues’ keeper had moved off his line.

The penalty was re-taken and this time Baxter found the back of the net - to the obvious joy of his teammates and the dismay of the Blues Club.

Town boss Jamie Lamming said: “All credit to Jack but it was a pretty controversial way to go through.

“I could understand whey the Blues Club were disappointed but we will take the result and it is great to get into another final.”

Both sides struggled to master the conditions. Town had the best chance in the opening half, despite playing into a gale, but Baxter volleyed over from five-yards.

Town were forced into a reshuffle at the break when Dave Marshall went off, but chances were still at a premium with centre backs Tom Watson and Scott Maplethorpe in commanding form.

It was 0-0 at the end of 90 minutes but the Blue Club took the lead when Town keeper Liam Smith saw a back pass slip under his foot and roll agonisingly over the line.

Town responded positively and after Scott Lowman saw one effort saved, Tony Edwards slammed home the equaliser.

In the shoot-out, Edwards, Carl Smith, Maplethorpe and Lowman were all on target while Smith pulled off a vital save before Baxter’s clincher.

Town will meet Fulbeck United in the final.

*Town’s first team game at Cleethorpes was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

They will entertain Skegness Town this Saturday while the reserves travel to Retford.

lier error saving the ball to his left to give Town the advantage. Captain Scott Maplethorpe topped off a fine performance with a cool penalty to make it 3-1, but The Blues Club responded to make it 3-2. Scott Lowman sent the keeper the wrong way to make it four out four. Again, the visitors kept the pressure on by scoring theirs straight after. Jack Baxter stepped up to try and secure a place in the final, but his effort was saved. Fortunately for him he was given a second opportunity, as the linesman flagged for the goalkeeper coming off his line and for the spot kick to be retaken. He made no mistake with the next chance, slotting the ball past the keeper to give Town the victory and send the team into the final.

Town’s second string will now meet Fulbeck Utd in the final, which will be held at Lincoln Moorlands’ Sport Ground at a later date in the season. However, first they will have to concentrate on matters in the league. Next week sees them make their longest trip of the season as they travel to Retford Town.

Team: L.Smith, Low, Maplethorpe, Watson, Marshall (Bodily), Cheetham, Lowman, Wilson, Baxter, Edwards, Burchnall (C.Smith). Unused subs: Lewis, Dunn, Gryniewicz.