FOOTBALL: Horncastle Reserves extend unbeaten run to 8

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22

Crown Arrows 2-3 Horncastle Town Reserves

Horncastle Town Reserves made hard work of a fixture against the 11th placed AFC Crown and Arrows, but extended their unbeaten run.

Town made two starting changes to the team that won 3-0 the previous week. In came Dave Marshall for Daniel Garnett who dropped to the bench and Daniel Bodily started his first match since picking up an injury in the first game of the season.

Town started the match brightly with lots of possession in midfield, but the first shot on goal was by Crown and Arrows when their striker hit just over the bar from 20-yards out.

Town’s first real attack came in the ninth minute and produced the opening goal of the game. Andrew Bullivant played the ball into the path of the in-form Luke Blondel, whose shot was too powerful for the host’s ‘keeper who could only push the ball into the top of the net.

Town’s next attack saw Sam Johnson earn a corner after some direct running at the defence. Jamie Lamming headed over just over from a driven corner by Darren Trapmore.

It took a short back pass from the home team, which Sam Johnson latched onto and coolly rounded the ‘keeper, to make it 2-0 on the half hour mark, a scoreline Town took into the half time break.

The second half got underway and Crown and Arrows showed what fighting spirit they had. Only five minutes in they won a corner on the left which the Town defence failed to deal with. Sam Wade beat the Town defence to the ball and Jamie Lamming and Darren Trapmore were unable to prevent the ball from going over the line.

Town still had plenty of possession and could have restored their two goal lead, but Ryan Beaumont missed just before the half mark.

Josh Cheetham replaced Daniel Bodily on 60 minutes to bring some fresh legs on the wing. Crown and Arrows were gaining in confidence and were searching for the equaliser, and on 70 minutes they got it. The home side won a corner which ended up looping out to the edge of the penalty box for the striker to hit an unstoppable volley through a crowd of players that gave Jason Stamford no chance in the Town goal.

This was nothing short of what the home team deserved. The final and deciding goal came on 80 minutes and it was all down to a lovely run from Sam Johnson. He went past two players on the left and put in a cross for Ryan Beaumont to score his second goal in two starts for the club, poking the ball home at the back post.

This was a hard earned victory and gives the Town players a reminder that nothing can be taken for granted in this league.

Next week sees the Reserves away at Birchwood Utd in the Amateur Cup.

Team: Stamford, Trapmore, Marshall, S.Maplethorpe, D.Maplethorpe,(Garnett), Bodily(Cheetham), Lamming, Bullivant, Johnson(Anderson), Blondel, Beaumont.