FOOTBALL: Gaffers win nine-goal thriller in Horncastle league

editorial image

Horncastle Six-a-side League

Game one saw How Long Ref play Ginger Gaffer in their points match round.

An early shot from the pinks was well saved from distance by Taylor. A lucky deflection for 1-0 by Dan Hurn gave How Long Ref the lead before Harwood made it 1-1. Ollie Cranfield gave the Gaffers a 2-1 lead before half time.

The second half saw How Long Ref’s keeper make a number of good saves until Ginger Gaffer stepped up the pressure, with Harwood making it 3-1 in the top corner.

Cranfield drilled in for 4-1 and Harwood then completed his hat trick for 5-1 before adding his fourth. Cranfield completed his hat trick to make it 7-1 before a late penalty was dispatched for 7-2.

A couple of early saves from Bantalona keeper kept the game level until midway into the first half when Sean Calvert made it 1-0 to OGFC.

Bantalona rode their luck until Calvert finally made it 2-0, before a wonderful strike from man of the match Dan Allen added a third.

Nathan Smith made it 4-0 and it was 5-0 before Dan Allen added a sixth, with Calvert then completing his hat trick for 7-0.

Bantalona were awarded a penalty which was well saved by Le Tissier, but finally converted with a second penalty from Dryburgh going in off the stanchion.

Ginger Gaffer’s Dan Burn had the first good chance which brought a good save from Chunk in the Spandau Pele goal.

It was left to man of the match Mathew Gilmartin to produce a moment of magic with a stunning long range left foot drive that found the corner from distance for 1-0.

Pele hit bar before Chunk saved again from Harwood before he finally made it 1-1 before half time.

The second half saw Harwood blaze over before Richie Hall had two great free chances, which Rob Taylor smartly double saved to see the game finish level.

In a superb game between ISS RAFCats and Beercelona, it was the latter who took the lead when Ryan Callahan fired home.

ISS RAFCats finally grabbed an equaliser but Paul Danut restored Beercelona’s lead, before Steve Hill brought the scores level again.

In a frenetic finale, as ISS RAFCats were pushing for the winner, a long ball was picked up and dispatched by man of the match Jay Peterson for a last minute 3-2 winner.

In the final match between WWFYW and Tekkerslovakia, a tight game was finally opened up by talisman and man of the match Connor Preston for 1-0, as Tekkerslovakia knew a win would keep them level on points with OGFC at the top of the table.

They continued to push their advantage and brought a good save from the WWFYW keeper before blazing over.

Both exchanged good chances from distance which both keepers were equal to, until Josh Warburton had a fabulous chance to equalise late on but shot wide.