FOOTBALL: Battling Town stung by Hykeham’s double blast


Horncastle Town 0

Hykeham Town 2

Horncastle Town paid the ultimate price for failing to take their chances as they crashed to a home defeat against top of the table Hykeham at The Wong on Saturday.

Town went into the clash full of confidence after their impressive win at Sleaford in the semi finals of the Supplementary Cup last time out.

However, a quickfire goal double from Hykeham in the first half decided a hard fought contest although Town will fell they deserved something.

Unfortunately, their hopes of a comeback failed as they missed a penalty and a number of other openings against opponents who look set to lift the Sills and Betteridge League crown.

Town were without Dave Marshall, Steve Lovett and Danny Bent through injury and unavailability while Olly Johnson limped off and was replaced by Kieron Hotchin after only 10 minutes.

Hykeham opened the scoring after 25 minutes when Tony Edwards was unfortunate to concede a free kick 25-yards out.

A visiting midfielder fired the ball into the top corner with an unstoppable strike, giving ‘keeper Will Wood no chance.

Five minutes later, the lead was doubled when Hykeham’s winger got the better of Town’s right back Callum Low and laid the ball off to their striker who made no mistake from 10-yards.

Town had an immediate chance to get a goal back when a Hykeham defender was adjudged to have handled the ball, but Carl Smith slid his penalty wide of the post.

With five minutes remaining of the half, Town saw another chance go begging when a ball got whipped in and Gareth Melia did well to escape his marker, but couldn’t keep his header down.

The second half started in a similar pattern to the first with possession being shared and little in the way of goalmouth action.

Nathan Rawdon replaced Low with 20 minutes remaining as Town pushed for a goal to get them back into the contest

A Michael Harness volley tested the ‘keeper and the same players saw a curling effort saved.

Those two efforts were the closest Town came to a goal which would at least have put some pressure on Hykeham.

l Town are scheduled to continue their Sills and Betteridge League campaign at Cleethorpes Town Reserves next Saturday (ko: 3pm).

Town: Wood, Low (Rawdon), C.Johnson, Lowman, Shinn, Harness, Smith, Brown, O Johnson (Hotchin), Melia, Edwards.

l Town Reserves were beaten 3-1 by title chasing The Blues Club in their latest Lincoln Saturday League game.

Town battled bravely but their only reward came from a Luke Blondel penalty.

The Reserves are at home next Saturday to Middle Rasen (ko: 3pm).