With another two kitchen fires over the weekend, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is reminding people not to leave their food when cooking.
Last weekend, the Brigade was called to two kitchen fires in Lincolnshire, both of which had been caused by food left unattended in the oven or on the hob, resulting in substantial damage.
These are just the latest two fires caused by careless cooking, with crews having already attended nine other similar incidents so far this month.
Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager, said: “I know it sounds simple, but please, when you are cooking food, stay with it. If the phone rings, the kids want to play, or there is someone at the door, take the time to turn everything off before you leave the kitchen.
“Many people think it’s harmless but it’s a really serious issue. People are putting their lives, the lives of their loved ones, and their homes at risk. It only takes seconds for a fire to start so don’t take the chance.
“To encourage people to be more vigilant whilst preparing their meals, we’ve put together a top 10 list of things you can do in the kitchen this Christmas whilst you’re waiting for your food to cook.”
People are putting their lives, the lives of their loved ones, and their homes at risk. It only takes seconds for a fire to start so don’t take the chanceLincs Fire and Rescue deputy community safety manager Steve Screaton
So, with one eye on the cooker/hob, you could:
* Check Facebook or snapchat your friends;
* Flick through your favourite Christmas recipe books;
* Whip up a fabulous desert;
* Do a Sudoku puzzle or a crossword;
* See how many Maltesers you can throw and catch in your mouth in one minute - the Guinness world record is 76!;
* Find out when Santa and his firefighter helpers are visiting you;
* Sing the entire version of 12 Days of Christmas;
* Do 20 squats;
* Watch this amazing TED talk by a volunteer firefighter;
* Write your shopping list for next week.
Steve added: “You can do literally anything you want, just don’t leave the kitchen when you’re cooking.”