Horncastle Tree of Light is a boost for new Boston hospice

Horncastle Lions present the money to the hospice
Horncastle Lions present the money to the hospice

The first August meeting of Horncastle Lions opened with a talk given Judy Byrne.

Judy is the chief executive of the Boston-based Butterfly Hospice.

She described the long process that culminated in the new six bed hospice being commissioned and welcoming its first patient last week.

The new Butterfly Hospice, which has been built on a four acre site near to the Boston Pilgrim Hospital, has been funded by local donations.

Judy explained that for the next three years, 30 per cent of the operating costs will be funded by the local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) - leaving the community to raise the remaining 70 per cent.

Thanking Judy for coming to Horncastle, Lion President Alan Toon handed her a cheque for £3,000.

This gift was from funds raised by the Horncastle ”Tree of Light” project - jointly organised by the Lions and the town’s Rotary Club.

Every year, families are invited to donate money for a light in memory of a departed relative to be lit on the tree standing at Stow’s Corner during the Christmas period.

Plans are already well in hand for this year’s tree.