Woodhall Spa hosts National Championships
THIS weekend’s action at Woodhall Spa promises to be the best of the season at England Golf headquarters ahead of the national championships.
County champions from all three categories: boys, men, and seniors will battle it out for their respective crowns on the Hotchkin course.
All three championships will be over 36 holes, the boys on Saturday, men on Sunday and the seniors play one round on each day.
Nick Marsh, from Huddersfield, could be hard to beat in the boys’ tournament.
He recently emerged unbeaten for England in the Boys Home Internationals, scoring five points from six in helping Yorkshire win the Boys County Championship and reaching the quarter finals of the British Boys Championship.
He also won the individual title in the Canadian International Junior Challenge, steering England to their fifth successive victory.
Also in the field of 34 boys county champions is Ashton Turner from Kenwick Park.
Turner was a team mate of Marsh in the victorious Boys Home Internationals team, winning five points from six, and he has also represent GB&I against the Continent of Europe in the Jacques Leglise Trophy.
England under-16 champion Jake Storey is also in the field, as is Robert Burlison, another member of the Boys Home Internationals team, and Jordan Ainley.
Ainley will also be competing in the men’s championship after winning both Hampshire titles.
The age range in the mens covers a number of teenagers to the highly experienced David Gibson and Ross Overton.
Ainley will play alongside James Burnett, a full England international, while Max Orrin, who lost a playoff for the Duke of York Young Champions Trophy at Royal Troon recently, is another to watch.
Also in the field is Bobby Keeble, Daniel Brown and Tom Small.
The Seniors’ field includes several internationals, not least Tyrone Carter, who made his seniors debut for England in the recent European Seniors Team Championships.
Carter is joined by fellow long-hitter Geoff King.
Andrew Carman, capped by England at men’s and seniors levels is also in the field, as is another seniors international Jon Marks.
- CRICKET: Sri Lankan stars impress for Woodhall Spa - at the double
- Motorist fined for speeding offence
- VIDEO: WOOLWICH MURDER INVESTIGATION: Police raid Lincolnshire home
- Emotional return for airmen to RAF Coningsby
- OFFER: Free Sunglasses at Original Factory Shop in Spilsby, Mablethorpe and Horncastle
- Archie’s awarded
- Horncastle firm’s expansion suffers due to extent of ash dieback crisis
- Candidates battle for victory in local county council elections
- ‘We should all be grateful to Margaret Thatcher’ - Local reaction to former Prime Minister’s death
- FOOTBALL: Horncastle Reserves to face the Blues in cup semi finals
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horncastle
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 31 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North