Councillors agree to back improvements at LIVES HQ

All change: A new conference/training facility could be on the cards at the  headquarters of the LIVES organisation on the Boston Road Industrial Estate.

All change: A new conference/training facility could be on the cards at the headquarters of the LIVES organisation on the Boston Road Industrial Estate.

0
Have your say

Town councillors have backed a plan for LIVES to establish a conference and training facility at their Horncastle headquarters.

The application, which will go before East Lindsey District Council, involves a change of use for part of LIVES’ facilities on the Boston Road Industrial Estate.

Although the town council’s planning committee agreed to support the application, they raised concerns over car parking at the site.

Councillors heard a neighbouring business had objected to the plan amid concerns about parking problems.

Coun Brian Burbidge said the new conference and training room could occupy up to 35 people and would perhaps add to the pressure on parking spaces.

His views were backed by Councillor Sandra Campbell-Wardman.

She said: “LIVES do an absolutely fantastic job and where would we be without them?

“We want to give them all the support we can but there is an issue over parking and we must be seen to be fair.”

Coun Stewart Attwood suggested nearby spare land could be utilised for extra parking.

Meanwhile, councillors also discussed a controversial application for 129 new homes on land at Mareham Road.

The scheme looked set to be refused after planners backed the views of residents and town councillors over flooding issues.

However, ELDC last month decided to drop their objections after receiving more information on plans to drain the site.

Despite that U-turn, an official hearing into the application went ahead last week. It started on Thursday and was chaired by a Government appointed inspector.

Councillors repeated their concerns about flooding issues.

They were backed by members of Horncastle’s History and Heritage Society.

Speaking at last week’s town council planning committee, society members Mary Silverton and Doctor David Lawrence said they did not think the drainage plans would work.

Mrs Silverton said developers had checked less than 50 per cent of the proposed drainage system.

She added: “There is still, in our minds, a feeling that the developers have not proved the drainage system will run day in, day out.”

Dr Lawrence said the plans involved using existing drainage ditches which would take overflow water into Thunker’s Drain.

He said he had visited the site and many of the ditches were in poor condition.

He warned that in heavy rain, there was a risk of flooding. He added owners of neighbouring land and properties could be liable for the upkeep of ditches - rather than the developers.

Resident Andrew Neal said he was worried there could be other large scale development in the area - adding to pressure on the drainage system.

Coun Burbidge said he planned to raise all the issues - including flooding and the impact on roads - at the hearing.