A Horncastle woman has warned people to be aware of the dangers of exploding aerosol cans , claiming they could cause a serious injury.
Marion Underwood and her husband were woken up in the middle of the night last week by a loud noise in their home in Boston Road, Horncastle.
At first, they thought they were being burgled or even a gun going off.
However, it proved to be a can of air freshener exploding in their downstairs toilet.
The couple discovered shards of metal in the room while the can itself was left with serrated edges.
Mrs Underwood said: “This could have been really dangerous.
“If we’d been in the room when the can actually exploded, we could have been seriously injured.
“Our bigger concern was is that our grandchildren visited us the very next day.
“What would have happened if the can had exploded when they were in the room?
“They could even have been injured picking up the can because the edges were so sharp.”
Mrs Underwood said the can had not been exposed to direct sunlight - or extreme temperatures.
According to safety experts, they are two of the main reasons behind can suddenly exploding.
She added: Fortunately, nothing happened in this instance, but I want to make other people aware .”
Mrs Undwerwood said she bought the can of ‘Lavender Breeze Room Spray’ from Aldi in Lincoln.
She said she had spoken to the company who has asked her to post the remains of the can back to them.
The News contacted Aldi but no-one replied to our request for a comment.