DCSIMG

No surrender - Horncastle campaigners renew vow to fight huge housing scheme

Langton Hill - scene of a new battle over a houses

Langton Hill - scene of a new battle over a houses

Campaigners facing a new challenge to their bid to stop a controversial housing project in Horncastle have vowed: “We won’t surrender!”

They warned Gladman - one of the country’s biggest developers - they will fight on in the Langton Hill saga.

Champagne corks were popping earlier this year when planners at East Lindsey District Council rejected a bid by Gladman for 300 new homes at Langton Hill.

Gladman immediately appealed the decision. A two week public inquiry - led by the Government’s Planning Inspectorate - is scheduled to start on September 17 and last two weeks.

However, the News can reveal Gladman have submitted a new application for the site - this time for 240 homes.

Bizarrely, a decision on the application is expected before the public inquiry starts.

Members of the Save Langton Hill Action Group have accused Gladman of trying to “bully” them - and ELDC - into accepting fewer homes.

David Rice, spokesman for the Action Group, said they were prepared to contest the new application, even though it meant re-submitting all the initial objections.

Mr Rice said: “It doesn’t matter whether it’s five homes, 500 or 5,000, Langton Hill is completely the wrong place.

“No-one in Horncastle wants these homes. Only last week, the Horncastle News highlighted fears about flooding because of poor drains.

“What pressure are 200-odd new homes going to put on that system? There’s other worries - schools, medical facilities, transport, access...

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page